Are you confident on the sewing machine? Have you made a few garments out of woven (non-stretchy) fabric, but are too scared to tackle a knit fabric project by yourself? Are you under the impression they cannot be sewn without an overlocker?
Well, we’ve got news for you! Knits can indeed be beautifully sewn on a regular sewing machine with a few simple tricks! Wanna learn how? Come and join this fun class and learn to make our brand new Delia top pattern (available for sale as a PDF download) and take home the pattern for free and make more of this classic raglan sleeve jersey top!
The pattern comes in three different versions, with or without peplum and with long or short sleeves. Choose to make your preferred version in class and make a different one at home if you fancy. Oh… and you can finish it with a cute bow too if you like!
What you will learn
- Types of needles and stitches to sew jersey fabrics on a regular sewing machine
- How to handle jersey fabric correctly
- How to attach raglan sleeves
- How to achieve a professional look on necklines and hems using a twin needle
- How to make simple pattern alterations for a great fit
What do I need to bring?
We have small selection of suitable Ponte Roma jerseys available to buy on the day for £9 to £10 a metre as well as matching threads. Please see the pictures in the products gallery to view the available selection.
*If you would rather bring your own fabric please refer to the types and quantities specified below.
- A length of 150cm wide stable knit fabric such as ponte roma or double knit. *Please avoid thin jerseys as they are not ideal to start with
- Two reels of matching polyester thread (no cotton please!)
How much fabric do I need?
- Peplum version with long sleeves – 1.5m
- Peplum version with short sleeves – 1.2m
- Plain (without peplum) with long sleeves – 1.5m
- Plain (without peplum) with short sleeves – 1m
*Please make sure to pre-wash your fabric prior to attending the class if you are bringing your own.
The class includes pattern and step by step illustrated instructions so you can make the top again and again at home!
- Tuesdays 21st & 28th January 2020, 6:30pm-9:30pm
* Please arrive 5 minutes early to ensure prompt start and to make the most of your class. Please bring a packed lunch for all day courses. We will provide drinks and biscuits!
Got some questions about this class? Please read our FAQs page before contacting us!
HAVING TROUBLE WITH YOUR BOOKING? PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR HELP.
PLEASE CLICK ON THE DATES TO FIND OUT ABOUT AVAILABILITY!