New January and February 2021 course dates now available for booking!
This is the perfect sewing course for you if you are a complete beginner wishing to have a thorough introduction to using a sewing machine, learning different sewing techniques, understanding basic sewing patterns and learning basic cutting skills. This course consists of four two and three quarter hour sessions in which you will be taken from the very basics of setting up and threading a sewing machine to making a simple A-line skirt to show off your newly acquired sewing skills by the end of it! Please note that weekend courses cover 2 sessions per day, whether weekday ones are taught once a week for 4 consecutive weeks.
You can choose to use one of our machines (we are a fully equipped studio with enough machines for all participants) or you’re very welcome to bring your own if you’d like to learn to use it, but please do let us know beforehand if you plan to do this as depending on the type of machine you have, it may not be suitable for some of the projects covered on this course. So… come along, be part of a lovely small group with plenty of individual attention from the tutor, learn to sew, chat and make friends. The tea and biscuits are on us!
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN:
- How to cut and pin fabric using a simple pattern
- How to thread the machine and wind a bobbin
- How to sew straight seams and how to finish them
- How to create a fabulous covered button
- Understanding and demystifying sewing patterns including their mysterious language and symbols
- How to correctly take your measurements
- How to alter the pattern and skirt to your perfect fit
- How to insert a regular zip
- How to finish a waistline with bias binding
And much much more!
SESSION 1- Button Down Cushion
Make a fabulous cushion cover with a covered button perfect to jazz up your home or give away as a gift!
SESSION 2- Tote Bag
In this session you will take your skills further and gain extra confidence with your sewing by making a handy boxy tote bag
What to bring:
Nothing! You will be able to choose from a selection of our fabrics for both the cushion cover and tote bag at no extra cost!
SESSIONS 3 & 4 – A-line Skirt
Consolidate and build on the skills learnt in the previous sessions by taking them further with this simple dressmaking project packed with essential basic dressmaking techniques.
WHAT TO BRING:
Nothing! We have a lovely selection of suitable fabrics available to purchase during the course at very affordable prices and we also sell the necessary haberdashery needed for this project. If you would rather source your fabric elsewhere, we’ll be able to give you advice during the course, however, due to beginners lack of fabric knowledge and the often ill advice given in fabric shops, we highly recommend our carefully selected fabrics, in order to avoid having to purchase fabric a second time, due to sourcing the wrong one in the first place.
All classes include patterns and step by step illustrated instructions for each project completed so you can practice your newly acquired skills at home!
- Thursday 21st, 28th January + 4th, 11th February 2021, 10:30am-1:15pm
- Monday 18th, 25th January + 1st, 8th February 2021, 6:30pm-9:15pm
- Friday 22nd, 29th January + 5th, 12th February 2021, 10:30am-1:15pm
- Saturday 23rd & Sunday 24th January 2021, 10:30am-4:30pm
- Wednesday 3rd, 10th, 27th & 24th February 2021, 6:30pm-9:15pm
- Thursday 18th, 25th February + 4th, 11th March 2021, 10:30am-1:15pm
- Saturday 6th & Sunday 7th February 2021, 10:30am-4:30pm
- Monday 15th, 22nd February + 1st, 8th March 2021, 6:30pm-9:15pm
- Friday 19th, 26th February + 5th, 12th March 2021, 10:30am-1:15pm
- Saturday 20th & Sunday 21st February 2021, 10:30am-4:30pm
* Please arrive 5 minutes early to ensure prompt start and to make the most of your class. Please bring a packed lunch for all day courses.
Got some questions about this course? Please read our FAQs page before contacting us!
HAVING TROUBLE WITH YOUR BOOKING? PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR HELP.
PLEASE CLICK ON THE DATES TO FIND OUT ABOUT AVAILABILITY!