Improve your dressmaking skills and learn new sewing techniques by making this classic and ultimately feminine Fifties Circle Dress in true Dior New Look style.
Whether you chose to wear it with vintage accessories and hairdos or prefer to go for a more contemporary look, this dress will always look fabulous and it will also make a great party frock. Come along and be part of a lovely group, learn new sewing techniques, chat and make friends. The tea and biscuits are on us!
What you will learn
- How to choose the correct pattern size for you
- How to alter the pattern to your perfect fit including bust, waist and back adjustments and more!
- How to make up a toile (test garment) to check the bodice fit
- How to sew darts like a pro
- How to sew neckline facings
- How to finish an armhole with bias binding
- How to insert a concealed zip
- How to sew a curved hem
The fitted pattern is then yours to take home to make the dress again!
Please note that this course is not suitable for beginners. You will need to be confident on the sewing machine and able to sew at a good speed. You will also need to have previously completed either our Complete Beginners Sewing Course and one of our Beginners Plus classes such as the Confident Beginners Dressmaking Intro or Advanced Beginners Dressmaking Course, or have completed some similar dressmaking projects and are able to work independently, as there will be homework to do in between classes.
- All sizes (8 to 18) 3.5m of 150cm wide woven (non stretchy) fabric
- Matching thread
- A 22″ invisible zip
- 25cm of light fusible interfacing
- 1 metre 7/8″ wide single fold bias tape in a colour to match the fabric as close as possible
- 1 metre of cheap fabric as close as possible in weight and drape to your main fabric (eg. calico, muslin or polycotton lining)
All other materials and equipment will be provided
Suitable fabrics: Medium weight fabrics such as cotton and cotton blends, cotton broadcloth, wool suiting and wool blends, linen, dotted Swiss and piqué. *Unsuitable for obvious diagonals, plaids or stripes.
*Important note: please make sure to pre-wash your fabric according to manufacturers instructions prior to attending the class. Do not skip this step, as your garment is very likely to shrink after the first wash unless the fabric has been pre-washed. You might end up with a dress that no longer fits you. Not nice after all your efforts! This does not apply to dry clean only fabrics. Check with the shop about fabric care when purchasing your material.
* Please arrive 5 minutes early to ensure prompt start and to make the most of your class.
Please bring a packed lunch for all day classes. We will provide the drinks and sweet stuff!
Anything else you’d like to know? Please read our FAQs page before contacting us!