This is the perfect sewing course for you if you are a complete beginner wishing to have a thorough introduction to using a sewing machine, learning different sewing techniques, understanding basic sewing patterns and learning basic cutting skills. This course consists of four two and three quarter hour sessions in which you will be taken from the very basics of setting up and threading a sewing machine to making a simple A-line skirt to show off your newly acquired sewing skills by the end of it! You can choose to use one of our machines or , you’re very welcome to bring your own if you’d like to learn to use it. Come along, be part of a lovely small group with plenty of individual attention from the tutor, learn to sew, chat and make friends. The tea and biscuits are on us!
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN:
- How to cut and pin fabric using a simple pattern
- How to thread the machine and wind a bobbin
- How to sew straight seams and how to finish them
- How to create a fabulous covered button
- Understanding and demystifying sewing patterns including their mysterious language and symbols
- How to correctly take your measurements
- How to alter the pattern and skirt to your perfect fit
- How to insert a regular zip
- How to finish a waistline with bias/binding
And much much more!
SESSION 1- Button Down Cushion
Make a fabulous cushion cover with a covered button perfect to jazz up your home or give away as a gift!
SESSION 2- Tote Bag
In this session you will take your skills further and gain extra confidence with your sewing by making a handy boxy tote bag
What to bring:
Nothing! You will be able to choose from a selection of our fabrics for both the cushion cover and tote bag at no extra cost!
SESSIONS 3 & 4 – A-line Skirt
Consolidate and build on the skills learnt in the previous sessions by taking them further with this simple dressmaking project packed with essential basic dressmaking techniques.
WHAT TO BRING:
Nothing! We have a lovely selection of suitable fabrics available to purchase during the course at very affordable prices, including some gorgeous Liberty prints and we also sell the necessary haberdashery needed for this project. If you would rather source your fabric elsewhere, we’ll be able to give you advice during the course, however, due to beginners lack of fabric knowledge and the often ill advice given in fabric shops, we highly recommend our carefully selected fabrics, in order to avoid having to purchase fabric a second time, due to sourcing the wrong one in the first place.
All classes include patterns and step by step illustrated instructions for each project completed so you can practice your newly acquired skills at home!
* Please arrive 5 minutes early to ensure prompt start and to make the most of your class. Please bring a packed lunch for all day courses. We will provide drinks and biscuits!
Got some questions about this course? Please read our FAQs page before contacting us!
PLEASE CLICK ON THE DATES TO FIND OUT ABOUT AVAILABILITY!